Tuesday, October 15, 2013

"My Dog Tale " By Guest: Barbara Jenkins Hutchins

Welcome to the words of Barbara Jenkins Hutchins who graciously allowed me to share her story in my blog today.  Thank You Barbara for sharing your "Dog Tale".
 



Barbara's favorite Bible verse
Jeremiah 29:11
Barbara Jenkins Hutchins:
 
God gave me another tale to tell, so hang on. You really have to know me to know how hilarious it is that God would use my dog to "speak" to me and teach me something about Himself. Let me elaborate just a snitch. I'm kind of anti-dog! Yes REALLY! I don't hate my dog but honestly there isn't a lot of love there either. I mean, I feed him and water him and give him an occasional pat, but that's about it. I just don't get the whole "I love my dog like he is my child" mentality. Don't be hatin'. God made me this way. (and don't even get me started on the "letting them lick you in the mouth thing" Yuck!) So, anyways, on with my life lesson. I went for my aerobo-walk this morning and my dog wasn't home so I couldn't chain him up before leaving. (I have to do that so his dumb self won't run out in front of passing cars) I hadn't walked very far until he saw me and he came running! I tried my best to get him to go home. I talked with him, spanked him "gently" and scolded him to no avail. So, off we went! He is very funny. He is not a protector kind of dog. He is afraid of every dog in the neighborhood. When we walk by a dog, even if it is chained he gets very close to me, tripping me many times, and whines like a little baby! Man does it get on my last nerve! Once, another dog jumped on him and I had
Smokey
to beat them apart so they wouldn't hurt each other. (see, I kinda like him)

This morning, as we were walking and Smokey continually whined and kept running in front of me, God showed me something. (I'm sure He was in heaven slapping His knee and yelling "hey y'all watch this"). He said to me, "you don't even much like your dog, yet you are willing to put yourself in harms way to protect him when he is attacked. You care enough to chain him so he want get run over, and you discipline him for his own good. How much more do you think that I, Your Heavenly Father, loves you. I am the one who knit you together in your mother's womb. I keep your tears in a bottle and know the number of hair on your head. You expect Me to protect you "from" certain things, instead I protect you "through" them to build your strength, faith and compassion and reliance on Me. You need to be more like Smokey (my dog). Stay close to Me, love on Me, walk with Me, seek My attention, come to Me willingly and often. Keep your focus on me. I will protect you and keep you safe and build you up. I will Father you and keep you safe from all harm. I will give you the abundant life you seek. I will use you to build my kingdom. Stay close to Me!"

Needless to say, I was very emotional on my walk today and even enjoyed the presence of my dog!
 





 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment