Wednesday, November 21, 2012

In Memory of "Mom" Happy Birthday


Words Unspoken



By Mary Edwards
written 3/1/2011
In Memory of Dolores Catherine Edwards









 


     My mother in law, Dolores, was ready for heaven. The gargling struggled breath was
not welcomed. The noise of her labored breathing was hurting my feelings not just my
ears. Her children and grandchildren were in and out of the hospice room so much that
there was no way to be at peace. People became frustrated with me but I knew it was
time for quiet. I requested that the family room be used so that Dolores could relax.
What I was really asking for was a lack of confusion. Her body and mind were both
suffering now. Her face spoke of hurt when her mouth could not. No amount of
medicine helped her Her last day was obviously here. There was no perfect
rhythm to her inhale and we held our breath until she took her next exhale.
My niece, Crystal and I were the only ones left in the room now. I picked up the old
baptist hymnal and began thumbing through the faded old pages. 

Sing with me Crystal” I said to her.
I don't know any of those songs Mary” she said as she turned to walk out of her
grandmother's hospice room. She turned back to me and began to sing, “As The Deer
Panteth for the Water”. How beautiful, her voice filled the room. We sang and cried
together. If I didn't know better, I would have thought angels joined in a choir and
sang with us. The room was warm, yet chills filled me. The Lord was
present and His Spirit accompanied us. The song was over and I began to sing,”Softly
and Tenderly”” Never before had I listened so closely to those hymnal words.
Softly and Tenderly Jesus is Calling. Calling Oh Sinner Come Home”.


Dolores stopped her gargled labored breathing. Her rhythm became smooth and
gentle. No look of pain was on her face. Crystal looked at
me and I returned the look with a reply of a nod of my head and said,
Yes, Go get the family.” I pushed the nurses station call button and the nurse quickly

came in the room. He looked at her and said,”Yes Mary, It's time. She looks comfortable.”
The silence was beautiful as we all now gathered around her bed. I let go of her hand
and put her hand into her daughter's hand. I continued to sing to her softly. It seemed to
be the “permission” that she waited for.
    
How special was the sound of heaven, taking my best friend home. I will always
treasure the sweet sound of silence when Heaven took her. Words unspoken can say so
much.



2 Corinthians 5:8  We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord  ( American King James Version









3 comments:

  1. Ahhhh She was a special lady, we are all so better for have known her. I know you miss her Mary but she is smiling down from Heaven today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remembering those special ones is comforting. Blessings on you dear Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, I loved this. It made me cry, but it was beautiful. Love you!

    ReplyDelete